ATR 42-500 Series
excellent short field performance
The ATR 42-500 is the latest development of the ATR 42. It draws from the in-service experience of about 700 ATR aircraft flying worldwide, with average dispatch reliability in excess of 99,6%.
Thanks to the Pratt and Whitney Canada PW127E engines, the ATR 42-500 offers:
- A cruise speed of 300 kt
- A fast climb from 1,500 ft to 17,000 ft in less than 10 min
- Outstanding take-off and single engine performance maintained even in hot and high condition
- Excellent short-field performance and step approach capability
|Overall length||22,67 m||74 ft 5 in|
|Overall height||7,59 m||24 ft 11 in|
|Wing span||24,57 m||80 ft 7 in|
|Wing area||54,5 mÂ²||586 sq.ft|
|Entrance door||0,750 x 1,750 m||29,5 x 68,9 in|
|Cargo door||1,295 x 1,575 m||50,2 x 60,2 in|
|Service door||0,610 x 1,220 m||24,0 x 48,0 in|
|Emer. Type III||0,510 x 0,910 m||20,0 x 36,0 in|
| Operating weights||Basic|
|Maximum ramp weight||18,770 kg||41,380 lb|
|Maximum take-off weight||18,600 kg||41,005 lb|
|Maximum landing weight||18,300 kg||40,344 lb|
|Maximum zero fuel weight**||16,700 kg||36,817 lb|
|Operational empty weight||11,250 kg||24,802 lb|
|Maximum payload||5,450 kg||12,015 lb|
|Maximum fuel load||4,500 kg||9,920 lb|
|**Optional MZFW: 17,000 kg (37,478 lb) - associated Max payload: 5,750 kg (12,676 lb)|
|TAKE-OFF FIELD LENGTH|
|ISA - Sea level - MTOW||1,165 m||3,822 ft|
|ISA - Sea level - TOW for 300 NM*||990 m||3,248 ft|
|ISA 10Â° - 3,000 ft, TOW for 300 NM*||1,163 m||3,816 ft|
|LANDING FIELD LENGTH|
|Sea level - MLW||1,126 m||3,694 ft|
|Sea level*||1,040 m||3,412 ft|
|MAX CRUISE SPEED|
|ISA - 17,000 ft||300 kt|
|ONE ENGINE OUT NET CEILING|
|97% MTOW - ISA 10Â°C||12,300 ft|
|Time to reach 17,000 ft from 1,500 ft, TOW for 300 NM||9.9 min|
|*48 pax at 95 kg (209 lb)|
|Take-off power||2,160 SHP|
|Take-off power (one engine out)||2,400 SHP|
|Propeller (Hamilton Standard)||6 blade 568F|
The ATR 42-500 offers a combination of high overall performance and comfort unmatched in its class, while keeping the competitive cost-efficiency, which are the brand image of ATR aircraft.
The ATR 42-500 secondary structure is extensively made of corrosion-resistant composite material.
Generous operational weights adapted to new regulatory standards provide the ATR 42-500 with a maximum range of 840 Nm or an out and return trip of 370 Nm without refueling, both at full passenger payload.
Short and narrow runways, hot and high airports, demanding airfields are the daily environment for ATR 42-500 worldwide. From Latin America to Asia-Pacific region, everywhere in Europe and in tough Middle East and African climates, ATR 42-500 provides unrivalled flexibility and reliability, generating revenues and profitability for regional airlines.
The ATR 42-500 provides passengers with an on-board comfort and services comparable to the jetliner
- High cruise ceiling of about 7,000 m (21,000 ft) with inherent stability
- Large overhead bins including a handrail to facilitate passengers and crew movement along the cabin
- Optimized view (more windows than rows of seats)
- Individual reading lights and cabin attendant call system
- A quiet, comfortable and spacious cabin with a new design list item
The ATR 42-500 cabin layout benefits from the improvements in noise and vibration:
- Attachment of the panels and overhead bins to the structure by specially designed dampers, avoiding vibration transmission from the structure to the interior furnishings
- Cabin partitions treated to reduce reverberation phenomena in the forward and rear cabin area
- New insulation blankets with an optimized thickness and made of waterproof material
- Stiffening of frames located in the propeller area
- Installation of Dynamic Vibration Absorbers on the upper side of the frames and on the floor beams, greatly reducing the transmission of noise generated by the propeller blades
- Skin damping treatment through viscomaterial strips on the panels, reducing noise propagation by the skin
The standard cabin layout is 48 seats at 30-inch pitch.
The new 568F six-blade Hamilton Standard propeller is specially optimized for low cabin noise in climb and cruise and low vibration.
- New Propeller Electronic Control
- New Propeller Valve Module, ensuring very accurate propeller speed and phase control
- Optimum synchrophasing between the two propellers, resulting in optimum comfort even in turbulence
|Volumes||46 seats||48 seats||50 seats|
| Baggage compartment||10.8||381.5||9.6||339||8.4||296.5|
| Baggage per pax||0.235||8.29||0.2||7.06||0.168||5.93|
(incl. overhead bins and storage)
| Total baggage per pax||0.29||10.25||0.255||9.01||0.222||7.84|
ATR has always made optimal use of advanced technologies providing fuel-efficient aircraft to the airline industry. ATR aims at furthering its contribution to ensure a sustainable future for the aviation industry, and reconciling air transport growth while minimizing environmental impact.
Highly efficient and operating at lower speeds, ATR aircraft contribute to a small fraction of aircraft attributable emissions. They operate at low altitudes, have no effect on the ozone layer and upper atmosphere, and provide optimized capacity, to adapt frequencies to the regional airlines requirements.
Material, procedures and technologies used to produce ATR aircraft are constantly improved and monitored to minimize environmental impact across the entire life cycle:
- Optimizing aircraft design continuously to reduce weight, fuel consumption, noise and pollutant emissions
- Integrating end-of-life issues from the very start of aircraft design
- Reducing waste production at source and increasing waste recycling rates
The latest propulsion technology combined with optimally designed high-lift systems make ATR -500 New Generation aircraft quiet neighboors. They meet ICAO noise requirements with wide margins, and hence keeping the environmental impact to a minimum.
The ATR 42-500 is more efficient than regional jet aircraft on short-haul routes: it emits about 20% less CO2 per passenger-km than new-generation jets and up to three times less CO2 than older ones.
The ATR 42-500 has the lowest seat-mile costs in its market segment.
On 300 Nm sector, the ATR 42-500 features less fuel consumption, lower engine maintenance costs and significantly lower airport charges, when compared to 50-seater jet.
The ATR 42-500 has the advantage of a proven design and a high degree of commonality with other models to minimize training and maintenance costs and ensure enhanced cost-efficiency for more profitability.
ATR 42-500 main advantages on its direct competitor are:
- Higher cruise speed
- Lower time related costs
- Lower airport charges
- Lower airframe maintenance costs